Friday, November 13, 2009

My condolences to Fort Hood, due to one man's actions

My deepest condolences go out to the friends and family of the victims of the recent shootings at Fort Hood. Such an act is beyond horrible and saddens every bit of my soul. I am sure Maj. Hasan will pay for his actions, and rightfully so. What does scare me however, is the fact that he is Muslim. I knew the emotional and sometimes irrational sides of certain people would kick in and see this as a connection to religion instead of the person. Today, that became blatant and in my face as I read the words of Bryan Fischer, the Director of Issues analysis with the American Family Association. Here are a few words he posted on the AFA website shortly after the shootings:
  • “It is time, I suggest, to stop the practice of allowing Muslims to serve in the U.S. military. The reason is simple: the more devout a Muslim is, the more of a threat he is to national security. Devout Muslims, who accept the teachings of the prophet as divinely inspired, believe it is their duty to kill infidels. Yesterday’s massacre is living proof.”
  • “the more devout a Muslim is, the more likely he is to lie to you through his teeth,”
  • “You invent a jihadi-detector that works every time it’s used, and we’ll welcome you back with open arms. This is not Islamophobia. It is Islamo-realism. The barbarians are no longer at the gate. They’re inside the fort, and it’s time for the insanity to stop.”
I knew words like these would be uttered eventually, but even though I knew it was coming, I still choke on each and every one of them. To judge an entire group of people by the actions of one person is absurd, ridiculous, and well, just plain stupid. Should we ban all White males from being the heads of major corporations? After all, are they not the ones who have been stealing from companies for years and put us in this financial mess in the first place? Or should we ban all Catholics from the military? Does anyone remember that guy a few years back that killed a few people in a building in Oklahoma? Right, it wasn't a few, it was 168. Timothy McVeigh was Catholic. Should we ban all Catholics because of this? Of course not, it is just plain stupid. Please see this for what it was, 1 person, not a race, not a religion, ONE person who committed a horrible act. Once again, my condolences and I am sorry for your loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment