Friday, March 5, 2010

For those who say racism is a thing of the past, please stick you head deeper in the sand


Recently in Winnipeg and add went up in the classifieds that, I am hoping, will be investigated as a hate crime. There is no excuse for it.

Native Extraction Service
Have you ever had the experience of getting home to find those pesky little buggers hanging outside your home, in the back alley or on the corner???Well fear no more, with my service I will simply do a harmless relocation. With one phone call I will arrive and net the pest, load them in the containment unit (pickup truck) and then relocate them to their habitat.It doesn't matter if they need to be dropped off on Salter (Street, in Winnipeg's North End) or the rez, I will go that extra mile. The North End of Winnipeg is where many city dwellers of First Nations descent live.My service is free because I want to live in the same city you do, a clean one.

I am sure many will agree there is no excuse for this ad, no justification for the treatment of aboriginal youth as nothing more than animals. But wait, maybe there is. After all, our government still produces maps with two distinct features. If you look closely you will notice on government produced maps, the symbols WRxx and IRxx (where xx are numbers). These stand for Wildlife Reservation and Indian Reservation. Our communities are identified THE SAME as wildlife reserves. If our government still sees us as animals, maybe that is an excuse for such a hateful ad.
Thankfully, there are good people out there. Folks at UsedEverywhere.com removed the ad after complaints. They also issued an apology and will be turning over all information to the police. To them, I say thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment