Friday, March 13, 2009

Take that mask off....pardon me???

Seems like Metro Transit has been in the paper quite a lot lately. First for operators who get upset and threaten drivers, and now for full out racism towards Muslim women. The bus driver not just refused to let a woman on the bus who had her face covered by a veil, but also yelled at her "It's the law" I know the Criminal code quite well, and I do not recall the section where a veil on a bus is mentioned. If this bus driver knows the law so well, I would love for him to educate me as to its whereabouts. According to the Union, the driver "did the right thing" by calling for clarification... clarification for what? Did she have a shirt on, I would say yes. Did she have footwear on, yes. What is there to call for clarification for? According to the rules, a person must be wearing a top and shoes. Let's assume the driver did do the right thing by calling for clarification (you know what they say about assuming though). If this was the right thing to do, why did it take over 10 minutes for him to do so? So the Union is apologetic for the actions of the driver, but defending his racist actions in the same breath. Now, my beef is not with the driver, not with the union, it is with the ignorant comments that follow this story on the cbc website http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/03/13/ns-bus-muslim.html
It is making me sick to my stomach just to type these, please please PLEASE, I beg you, these are NOT my words in any way:
This woman should not have to cover her face. My God, smelling your own breath all day.
Unfortunately, she is victim of some dark age custom that has not let go.
Why couldn't she take her mask off?
MASK.... Dark age custom (take a look at some of the Christian rituals) By the way thank you buddhawest for seeing the "flaming bigotry" in that

My favorite...There is no need in this country to dress like a terrorist.

To you I ask, how exactly was it that Timothy McVeigh dressed? How was it that Dr. Theodore John Kaczynski (The Unibomber) dress (that's right DOCTOR)? How was it that all the terrorists who have bombed abortion clinics across the US and Canada dressed? How is it that all the gunmen who have gone into schools and work places across the country dressed? Dare I say the terrorist uniform of Levi's and a t-shirt
Got to end this here. All this is making me really cranky on a Friday night. By the way, Metro Transit, I seem to remember the days when Mardi Gras was in downtown Halifax. How many people wore masks on the bus then???

No comments:

Post a Comment