Monday, July 27, 2009

Opps, they did it again

For a long time now I have been talking about the bias and racist reporting coming form newspapers across the country. Many people look at the paper and just don't see the things myself and many others do. It is so easy to see, and I would like to thank Lynn Barr-Telford from Statistics Canada for calling the Canadian Press to task on such an issue. On July 22, 2009, papers across the country reported on a study recently released. The article was entitled "Native poverty, jail linked" The article goes on to link Native poverty as a result of high incarceration rates. However, according to Stats Canada, "Our analysis did not examine income levels, and the word poverty did not appear in either our news release or in our report" as per Barr-Telford's letter buried on page A7 Opinions section (I would put a link to the letter, but I can not seem to find it on the Chronicle Herald website) Since the word "poverty" was nowhere in the study...OR the press release, why did Sue Bailey of the Canadian Press feel it was her responsibility to embelish the story? Is this what we can expect from the empolyees of the Canadian Press? I do think this has helped prove my point. While I am on it, should the papers also need to print a retraction instead of hiding it on page 7????

No comments:

Post a Comment